This utility is designed to help PUMAS Participants find labels that identify the Curriculum Topics of Examples.
Based on United States national content guidelines, the entire subject matter of K-12 mathematics and science has been divided into broad curriculum areas, called Science and Math "Standards." Under each Standard are numerous "Benchmarks," which are specific curriculum topic statements, arranged by Grade Groups.
Each PUMAS example is tagged with one or more Benchmarks, which are referred to by their Benchmark Labels.
- Users can select Benchmarks of interest, as criteria when they search the PUMAS Collection.
- For Contributors, we ask that you suggest one or more Benchmarks, to tag your Examples with Curriculum Topic descriptions that are familiar to pre-college teachers.
- The area covered by an individual "Curriculum Topic" is imprecisely defined. You may find several Benchmarks relevant to a topic of interest, possibly under different Standards.
- Some topics recur within a Standard, for different Grade Groups. We try to label Examples with Benchmark(s) in a Grade Group for which the students have the Thinking Skills and Math Background to understand the Example.
- PUMAS Examples may be labeled with more than one Benchmark.
If you already know the labels of one or more Benchmarks, and want to read the Benchmark statements, click here.
The labels used here refer to "Standards" and "Benchmarks" provided by the Mid-continent Regional Educational Laboratory (McREL). They are used here by permission. Bolding of words in the standards and benchmarks was added by R. Kahn, PUMAS Editor.
To Use this Utility:
- Choose one or more Grade groups, using the check boxes.
- Also, choose one or more Science and/or Math Standards that seem to cover the area of interest.
- Then press any of the "Find Benchmarks" buttons.
You will receive a list of Benchmarks and their associated labels.
Make a note of the labels of those Benchmarks that most closely describe the Curriculum Topic(s) of interest.
NOTE: If you do not choose specific Benchmarks you will receive a list of ALL the Benchmarks.