Currently the PUMAS collection contains 93 examples.
The PUMAS examples are aimed primarily at helping pre-college teachers enrich their presentation of topics in math and science.
- You may find a number of examples that relate to your area of interest, perhaps written in different styles, and possibly taking different approaches to the material. There may also be comments/lesson plans filed with some of the examples, written by previous users.
- Use these examples as a resource -- Select, adapt, recontextualize, and present the material to your students in a way that you judge will best meet your students' needs, abilities, and interests.
- You may have ideas related to a particular example that might be helpful to subsequent users. There is an opportunity, on the "Display an Example" page associated with that example, for you to submit your comments/lesson plans.
- PUMAS examples are citable references. If you use material from PUMAS examples in other work, please cite them appropriately, e.g.: Chambers, L.H., "How Now, Pythagoras?", 07_10_98_1, The PUMAS Collection, http://pumas.nasa.gov, 1998.
Sort by Field
This is a good way to start, or to find examples added after a certain date. Click links below to get the list of all the PUMAS Examples, arranged by that field.
Examples by Common Keywords
by Title | by Grade Level | by Date Accepted | by Benchmarks | by Author
angle of incidence
Attitudes toward ris
gaming the system
Nature of science
Right Hand Rule
Small angle approxim
solid earth tides
systems of equations
Urban Heat Island
value of information
- Automatic Windshield Wipers
(conduction, conductivity, electricity, water, ion, wire, battery, motor)
- Color and Spectrum
(Light, Color, Spectrum, Spectral Analysis, Blackbody)
- Could a World of Swimmers Raise Sea Level?
(Sea level rise, Floating, Swimming, Oceans, Flooding)
- Dream Job
(Geometric progression, Counter-intuitive result, Counting, Exponents, Estimates)
- Geometric Addition + Logarithms = Geometric Multiplication
(Multiplication, Computation, Exponents, Logarithms, Number Line, Geometric Calculation)
- How Many Days Are in a Year?
(Leap year, Year, Calendar, Error analysis, Successive approximations, Fractions)
- Ice Sheets and Sea Level Rise
(Ice sheets, Sea level rise)
- Learning to Think Globally
(Thinking globally, Estimating, Significant Figures)
- Logarithms: Taking the Curve Out
(Logarithms, Mean Value, Statistics, Non-linear)
- Making Months
(365, Gregorian calendar, Month, Days, Year, Week, Factor, Prime, Design tradeoff)
- Modulus in Real Life
(Modulus, Remainder, Range, Domain, Clock, Pattern, Repetition, Periodic)
- Scavenger Hunt: Simulating Natural Selection
(Natural Selection, Evolution, Adaptation, Mutation)
- Seeing Interference Fringes
(Laser, Interference pattern, Fringes, Wave nature of light)
- Seeing Interference Fringes with a Telescope
(Interferometer, Interference fringes, Telescope)
- Spoon Mirror
(Observing, Mirror, Spoon, Lighthouse, Spotlight, Searchlight, Telescope)
- Teaching Atomic Structure Using Cooperative Learning
(Cooperative learning, Atomic structure, Atomic number, Protons, Neutrons, Mass number, Isotopes)
- Teaching Radicals in Less than Five Minutes
- The Rubber Band Problem
(Force, Inertia, Friction)
- Two Answers are Better than One
(Estimating, Back-of-the-envelope calculation, Significant figures, Checking your work)